Saturday, March 11, 2006

Land grant

Last night after dinner Gye Greene and I were talking about household chores when we were children. I mentioned that I had disliked yardwork -- particularly weeding -- as a child. GG suggested that perhaps it was it was not my plants that I was weeding, but rather those selected by my parents. I agreed with his insight.

Based on this, GG decided that when his child is old enough to understand, he will give her a small little area of the yard, to do with as she wishes: plant a vegetable garden, grow a rosebush, plant a tree or two, or whatever. Perhaps fence it in; maybe build a park bench; to mow, or to not mow. Simply... whatever.

It would probably begin as a small area -- perhaps two feet by two feet (1m x 1m) -- and expand as the child's abilities -- and vision -- expand.

GG conjectures that it might provide a sense of territory, and maybe build responsibility, and/or an enjoyment of gardening: it's your plants -- which you chose, bought with your allowance, planted and watered.

And: he says that since I live here, but am in ''permanent houseguest'' status, might I like a small piece of land, as well?


I would. :)


And thus, am looking forward even more to completion of the new house.


--TG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home