Friday, April 01, 2005

Another good band: The Smithereens

So, since I' m home alone all day -- except for Ralphie! -- while everyone else is off at work, I've been slowly going through Gye Greene's CD collection. Some I've heard before, some I haven't.

Came across The Smithereens, and their album "11" (as in "This one goes to eleven"). VERY good album! "Girl Like You" is particularly good -- though all the songs are tasty. The sort of song I wish **I** had written. Good opening riff. Also "Yesterday Girl." Heck, the whole **album** is good. Strong, catchy songs. Vaguely Foo Fighters-like, except The Smithereens did it first (by about ten years).

You can catch a few seconds' worth of it at cdnow.com (which apparently got bought out by Amazon) -- but if you want a used copy, you can pick it up at djangos.com (Amazon.com also does used CDs, for similar prices -- but if you want to support the small guy you can go to djangos).

Their "Green Thoughts" album is also pretty good. (Heh! No surprise GG has it!)

1 Comments:

At April 01, 2005 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TG,

Heh! You show good taste!

You should listen to the R.E.M. "Green" CD. I accidentally bought it while looking for the "Green Thoughts" album -- they came out at about the same time. I think I bought both of them on cassette, originally...

See you at home!

--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home