Monday, April 04, 2005

Elvis Costello: o.k.

Elvis Costello. A few good songs across a few albums. A worthy musician, a good fellow, but not my cup of beans.


Specifically:

Spike -- two or three good songs.

My Aim is True [reissue w/ bonus tracks] -- actually, about half good, the other half I forget 'em.

All This Useless Beauty -- five good ones out of twelve.


So, he's not stink-o or anything. And -- good golly! -- he cranks out the albums!!! So, his cumulative body of work stands well. But I personally think Sheryl Crow is a stronger songwriter. (She's less abstract, for one thing: uses imagry and metaphors, but you know what she's saying.)

But, YMMV. I'm just saying. :)

4 Comments:

At April 06, 2005 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

but have you heard "The Juliet Letters" - its the only EC album I have but its very good.

 
At April 06, 2005 10:00 AM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Hm! No name, eh?

Haven't; will have to check it out sometime.

--TG

 
At April 06, 2005 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, it was Cathy, friend of Travis' wife Chris, reading blogs instead of doing work...too ashamed to admit. Not freaky cyber wanderer....nor elvis costello PR person ...

 
At April 09, 2005 11:36 PM, Blogger Tara said...

Elvis Costello is true genius and much better than Sheryl Crow, but of course that's just my opinion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home