Saturday, August 06, 2005

Narcissistic victim

All right: I found this news story by accident.

Sometimes the link works, and sometimes it doesn't , so I'll also include a paraphrase:

Channel 7 in Australia will be airing a documentary on the Bali bombings from a year or so back. And one of the survivors is asking the network to not show the documentary -- because it'll " it will hurt her and other victims too much", by making her re-live the night, thus causing her trauma.

Um-- pardon? So, don't watch it?


I'm sure this woman is profoundly affected -- but I don't believe she has strong thinking skills.

She also compalined that the network "had not asked her to be involved in the documentary or given her any warning about it."

"I feel that what they've done is gone sneakily about it and done it their way," she said.

Again, the attitude seems a little... self-indulgent, to me. As a comparison: when American networks do documentaries on the Twin Towers bombings, are they expected to invite every single survor -- or send out memos or notifications? A little too "Emily Post"/Miss Manners...

To their credit, Seven's t.v. network was very tactful in their response. Their representative said he could understand how survivors would be traumitized, but, um, it is a public event...


--TG

1 Comments:

At August 08, 2005 12:08 PM, Blogger Gye Greene said...

Reminds me a little of when I went to Atlantic Anglican College. The Red Square -- seems like all universities have a "Red Square" -- consisted of red bricks with the mortar long since worn away. The upside was that if you rolled a rock across it, you'd get a marimba/xylophone sound.

But then a few years after I left, someone twisted their ankle on one of the bricks (don't know how!), and sued the college. So they had to pave the bricks over -- or so I heard. A shame.

--GG

 

Post a Comment

<< Home