Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Race relations make me sad

I have just finished watching the portion of the evening news which covered Rosa Parks' memorial service. Listening to the speakers -- most of them African-American -- and realizing that I am across the ocean, in another country -- made me think about how even though certain changes were initiated fifty years ago, the situation has not completely been changed.

There is still economic inequity, divided heavily along racial lines. There is still fear, discomfort, and uncertainty. And until people are living together in something approaching -- as Gye Greene would put it -- a random distribution, such that interactions with people of different appearance is typical and natural, rather than something unusual and uncomfortable, I do not see how it will change.

Thinking all of this made me sad.


--TG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home